Balancing The Points To Encourage Teamwork in PvZ:GW
I play PvZ:GW every chance I get, whether others are on and playing or not. I haven’t been so enamored with a game since BF:BC2. As I am currently bound to my desk, I checked out the official EA forums and it would appear that 1) there are very few people commenting which means new posts/comments stick out, 2) Popcap is reading and responding to feedback. I believe it is not a futile exercise to offer some feedback on the scoring system as regards the Gardens and Graveyards gametype. Therefore, I am compiling a list of actions and current points awarded for the purpose of suggesting alternate values that would more greatly encourage teamwork, or at the very least, reward those who are PTFO. When complete, I plan to post it on the forums, and ask someone to link to it on Twitter. Your help is greatly appreciated. 😀
Special considerations: The current range of points scored in a given match cannot be greatly altered. That is, any overall inflation is unacceptable due to coins having real monetary value, sticker packs having a fixed price, and gamer’s “savings” 😉 .
After taking the time to list the actions/points, I realized that there are only three areas that need tweaking.
Action – Current Points – Suggested Points (Rational)
- Vanquish Streak – 25 + 25, 50, 75 and then 175 per – Cap at 25 bonus points per additional kill (The current scoring is detrimental to Objective gaming because it greatly encourages staying alive and distance killing from outside the deadly garden.)
- Garden Capture – 10 per 3 seconds? – 10 points per 1 second (The time necessary to receive points must be shortened because life in the garden is short. The points must be increased because presence in the Garden, regardless of Plants to Zombies ratio, is essential to winning the game.)
- Garden Defense When Zombies in Garden – zero – 10 points per 1 seconds (This must match the Zombies, and is only awarded when defending Plant and attacking Zombies are actually in the garden. Regardless of Plants to Zombie ratio, if a Plant is in the garden at the same time as a Zombie, defense points must be awarded because it is stopping or slowing the Graveyard progress.)
Zombies tend to score higher per round than the Plants. Part of that is due to the 250 point awards for special support objectives in the finale rounds (eg., Wall-Nut launcher, Flak Flowers etc.). To even this disparity, the Plants should receive greater points for actions in finale directly related to the Objective. The following suggestions might require more programming and not just value tweaks, but the impact would be significant and positive.
- Defending Golf-Bomb – 25 for elimination of last Zombies pushing Golf Ball – 50 per Vanquish of Zombie On Golf-Bomb
- Defending Mansion Doors/Sunflower/Tactical Cuke – any? – 50 additional points per Vanquish on the front steps or within the pavilions.
- Vanquish Player – 25 – No Change
- Critical Vanquish – additional 20 – No Change
- Vanquish AI – 5 – No Change
- Vanquish Assist – 25 – No Change
- Special Vanquish Assist (eg. Goop, Smoke) – 25 in addition to 25 for Vanquish Assist – No Change
- Garden Defense (kill of Zombie in Garden) – 100 in addition to Vanquish points – No Change
- Resurrection/Revive – 50 – No Change
- Suppression – 10 – No Change
- Save an Ally – 50 – No Change
- Avenge An Ally – 50 – No Change
- Destroy Potato Mine – 10 – No Change
- Destroy Spike Weed – 10 – No Change
- Build Turret – 25 – No Change
- Build Teleporter – 100 – No Change
- Teleporter Use – 10 – No Change
- Destroy Teleporter – 25 – No Change
- AI Vanquish – 10 – No Change
- Vanquish Nemesis – 50 – No Change
- Stopped Enemy Vanquish Streak – 25 – No Change
To the credit of the designers, there are still many more scores awarded for many more actions. None of them seem to be problematic.