Mass Effect 3 DLC Incoming
No, that’s not the huge news about ME3, rather the huge news is it’s going to be free. That’s right, EA is releasing the Resurgence Pack DLC on Tuesday, April 10th, for FREE! No, Hell has not frozen over, and I really don’t think that EA is trying to pay it forward in efforts to form goodwill with the detractors. I suspect that there are two major reasons why EA has decided to make the Resurgence Pack DLC (two MP maps, five new playable characters, and new weapons & equipment) for gratis. The first being a way to placate the vocal minority that have filed complaints about the ending, and the second being that EA is making hand over fist over their “free-to-play” model. Let me explain what I mean by the “f-t-p” model for those that haven’t had the chance to play the commercial version of the MP mode yet. After each MP game, you & your team are awarded XP and credits. The credits are used to unlock different stages of packs which contain random weapons, equipment, and characters. You can either grind for these random goodies or you can opt to purchase the packs using MS points (real $). EA has been experimenting with this business model (microtransactions on consoles) for a few of their most successful MP games such as FIFA 12, NHL 12, & ME3. I suspect that they are experiencing a lot of success with this. What might be perceived as a move of generosity, really isn’t. It’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing more like it. Hit the jump for more info on what will be coming next Tuesday. CHARACTERS
- Asari Justicar Adept: Asari are fierce, graceful warriors. They are incredibly powerful natural biotics. The asari excel at hit-and-run tactics that ruthlessly eliminate their opponents from the battlefield.
- Krogan Battlemaster Vanguard: Krogan Vanguards are a brutish specimen. These fully mature krogan might be old and slow, but their biotic charge ability makes up for it. Their heavy shields and ability in close makes them a menace on the battlefield.
- Geth Infiltrator: Geth Infiltrators converge quickly on a target while remaining undetected. Their unique perception systems give Geth Infiltrators an unsurpassed understanding of the battlefield.
- Geth Engineer: Geth Engineers are elite support specialists. Their unique perception systems give Geth Engineers an unsurpassed understanding of the battlefield.
- Batarian Soldier & Sentinel: Batarians are large brawlers that use nets and spiked weapons to capture targets… or to bleed them dry on the battlefield. If an opponent gets too close, a Batarian bludgeons them with spiked armor and enforcement gauntlets.
- Firebase Condor– A warzone outpost located on one of Palaven’s moons, Firebase Condor represents a crucial asset in the defense of the Turian homeworld, providing the beleaguered Turian fleet with a place to refuel and repair. Its loss could grant the Reapers unparalleled access to the Inner Council Theater. You will actually see the galactic war happen all around you such as Turian fighter ships taking off, and Reapers battling in the background and in the distance while Palaven is burning.
- Firebase Hydra– Firebase Hydra is located in an old abandoned Quarian colony which humans took over when they originally settled the world of Ontarom. It has since been converted into a massive dam facility which powers the communications hub located at Firebase Dagger and the kinetic barrier which protects it. Without this critical power source, Systems Alliance communications within the entire theater would go dark.
- Striker Assault Rifle– Krogan rifle with explosive rounds. Its rate of fire increases when the trigger is held.
- Kishock Harpoon Gun– Deadly one-shot Batarian weapon. Causes bleed-out or disruption of target.
- Geth Plasma SMG– Fully-automatic Geth submachine gun. Its rate of fire increases when the trigger is held.
- Strength Enhancer- Applies a melee damage boost for one mission.
- Targeting VI- Applies a headshot damage bonus for one mission.
- Shield Power Cell- Stabilizes weapons while firing aof moving for one mission.
- Stabilization Module- Shortens the length of time shields take to begin recharging for one mission.
*Credit goes to Bioware’s official Mass Effect blog